The IsatPhonePro satellite telephone is now available at Killerdeals
Launched in mid 2010 by Inmarsat, the IsatPhonePRO satellite telephone is our most attractively priced satellite product providing excellent coverage in remote places where cellular or landline communication are non-existent, or where cellular roaming fees may be too high.
The IsatPhonePRO offers various features including clear voice calls, SMS, short email messages and GPS functions - all packaged in a neat and durable design.
The IsatPhonePRO is distributed by Zippisat at a very affordable price, making ownership an attractive alternative to the cost and logistics of renting.
- Our ISatPhonePRO comes with 25 units of airtime. It is Prepaid; no contract or monthly bills. You can recharge with more airtime as required by phoning or emailing Zippisat. 25 units of airtime is valid for 30 days. This airtime voucher can be used when necessary.
- If you recharge before the airtime validity expiry date, remaining credits will move into the new airtime window where applicable. The longest airtime window date will apply as long as you recharge while you have some credit remaining on your SIM.
- 25 units is 25 minutes to landlines or cellphones. Billling is for the first 30 seconds, then 15 second increments after that, so you don’t always use a full unit e.g. a call of 29 seconds is only half a unit.
- A call from the IsatphonePRO, at the current dollar exchange is about R9.00/min, excl. VAT. In many areas it is cheaper than roaming costs. SMS/email is half a unit per 160 chars. (about R4.50). Prices are average and depend on the exchange rate when you buy airtime, and the airtime voucher size.
- You can write and receive short emails from the phone; they are transmitted in SMS format (160 characters). You can concatenate 10 SMS or emails but that will cost 10 SMS’s. You never pay to receive calls, SMS or emails.
- Please note that sometimes cellphone networks have unreliable text messaging to the satellite phone networks. If you struggle to SMS the IsatPhonePRO, rather use the email service to the IsatPhonePRO. There is a maximum of 20 slots on the phone for receiving SMS/email, so remember to keep the slots empty and set maximum validity period on SMS settings.
- Telkom rates (and therefore most cellphone rates) to a satphone are very expensive; it is much cheaper to call back from the satphone to South Africa. It is recommended that you enable voicemail and diverts to voicemail so that people can contact you when your phone is switched off or out of reception. You should get a SMS notification about new voicemail if you set up voicemail and diverts correctly.
- The GPS position can also be SMS’d or emailed or Tweeted to someone directly from the IsatPhonePRO. Friends and family who receive your GPS co-ordinates, can view your position on Google Maps via our website at www.zippisat.com/GPS
- The SMS number can be linked with your Twitter account (www.twitter.com). You can send and receive tweets with the IsatPhonePRO SMS, which is a cost effective way to stay in touch with many contacts, or to follow social network chatter. Your Twitter feeds can be public or private and are ideal for updating your progress or GPS position.
- Inmarsat, the network for the ISatPhonePRO, has released a data and fax capability for the IsatphonePRO; but this is a very, very slow, basic service for now. (2.4kb/s). If you want fast internet you should rather use a BGAN terminal. Please enquire about our special software optimized to get email via the IsatPhonePRO - ideal for email, news and weather maps when sailing.
- Inmarsat uses geostationary satellites placed into orbit in 2009; because they are geostationary, your calls are not dropped as they are passed along moving satellites (as happens with other satellite networks.) The coverage is excellent in Africa, and Inmarsat has coverage globally with the exception of the Poles. We can also call you from our satellite phone to demo the outstanding voice quality. Inmarsat states expected operational life of the Inmarsat-4 satellites until after 2020.
- Inmarsat has a list of regulations for various countries that they are aware of, regarding the use of satellite phones. If you are concerned about the use of the IsatPhonePRO in a specific country, Zippisat can provide the information known to Inmarsat. In many cases, regulation stipulates that you need to use a local Service Provider if you are going to reside in the country for an extended period of time (longer than 3 or 6 months). We have customers travelling globally and in most cases they do not attempt to contact relevant authorities, but if in doubt please request the latest regulations. Note that satellite phones are illegal in India and registration is required in China.
- The battery life of the phone is rated as 100 hours standby time and it is very robust (splash and dust proof). Spare batteries are available, however we think it unlikely that you will need one. Like all modern Lithium-Ion batteries, please keep your battery at about 50% charge when in storage and give it a small charge occasionally to ensure longevity.
- Now with ‘Personal Alert’! When you press * and # together your GPS co-ordinates and a custom message will be emailed or SMS’d to up to 10 people.
Car and wall chargers, USB cables and wired headsets, as well as activation and SIMs are included.